PLUM Lending and the Current US Economic Outlook
The US Economy was Tentative going into 2020:
- Earnings growth going into 2020 was soft prior to the COVID-19 shock. Corporate earnings grew YoY in 2018 at 22.7% and then slowed to 1.1% growth in 2019 .
- With the almost certain further decline in GDP as countries, cities and conference venues are locked down, even the most optimistic Wall Street analysts are projecting at least a 50% probability of recession.
- Corporate debt at record levels combined with the escalating trade war tensions and one-off issues such as the 737 MAX grounding, were already weighing on US GDP growth.
- JetBlue recently reported that the demand for flights has fallen more due to coronavirus than after 9/11, and the CEO of Southwest has also admitted that this has a “9/11 feel to it” when discussing the double digit decline in seat demand.
Impact to the availability of CRE financing:
- Inevitable decline in revenue and growth, particularly in hospitality and retail centers has many lenders retreating from these asset classes.
- Supply chain disruption, travel, steel production down 90%, auto sales down 95%.
- CMBS and securitized lending products are trading at substantially increased risk premiums, equivalent to early stages of the 2008 great financial crisis.
We're here for you:
- Collectively, we are facing a public health crisis and our hearts are with all of those affected by the novel coronavirus.
- Despite the challenging environment, PLUM recognizes that its clients have loan maturities and we are prepared to fill the void in liquidity with our balance sheet loan offerings.
- As a result of our institutional ownership and additional recent allocation of capital from insurance companies, we are actively seeking investment opportunities for their funds.
- PLUM’s stable balance sheet offerings are not impacted by the lack of liquidity in the capital markets, and continue to be available at attractive rates. Our capabilities allow us to offer a special book of capital by negative market trends.
For information on how your immediate financing needs may be met, contact a PLUM expert.
PLUM Lending is a full-service commercial real estate lender that provides creative structured finance solutions for a full range of property types. We specialize in the capitalization of middle-market commercial real estate properties nationwide with a focus on secondary markets. We provide borrowers with capital through our PLUM SELECT direct lending program, as well as our capital markets financing program.
Advancements in data science and technology cast a positive light on the global economy and future of humanity in a post-COVID-19 world.Read More >>
Resolute Capital Partners, announced March 31, 2020 the company has joined Elliott Management, a hedge fund manager, and Soft Bank, a high-tech funding firm, by investing alongside them in PLUM® Lending.Read More >>
Larger investment in the student housing sector reached a new peak in 2018 and continued its strength, with only a brief slowdown when interest rates rose at the beginning of 2019. Learn more about trends in Student Housing as we look into 2020.Read More >>